Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder where breathing repeatedly stops and starts as you sleep which causes poor sleep quality and daytime fatigue that can affect the quality of life. Some might treat snoring as just part of the daily sleeping routine, but no it is more than just heavy snoring it might be symptoms of sleep apnea. Trumbull Premier Dental offers sleep apnea treatment to put a stop to this sleep disorder.
Types of Sleep Apnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea – It occurs when throat muscles relax and cause loud snoring. It is the most common type of sleep apnea.
- Central sleep apnea – It occurs when the brain fails to send proper signals to the muscle controlling the breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea – Occurs when a patient suffers from both obstructive and central sleep apnea.
Tips to treat Sleep Apnea:
Maintain healthy weight – People who are overweight are more prone to sleep apnea since fat deposits around their upper airway can obstruct normal breathing causing negative effects to throat muscles and breathing capabilities.
Avoid smoking, drinking of alcoholic beverages and overuse of sedatives.
- Alcoholic beverages can relax the throat muscles and block the upper airway which can result in apnea.
- Smoking causes inflammation and fluid retention in the airways which leads to sleep disturbances.
- Over the counter sleeping sedatives can increase the risk of apnea or even worsen sleep apnea symptoms and loud snoring.
Avoid smoking, drinking of alcoholic beverages and intake of sedatives especially at night or before sleeping; this can decrease the risk of suffering from sleep apnea.
Consider changing negative bedtime habits to positive habits.
- Adjust sleeping Position – During Bedtime try to sleep on your side, it can reduce the risk of sleep apnea by keeping your airway open to avoid symptoms of apnea.
- Brace your head up – Keeping the position of your head above heart level can help ease sleep apnea symptoms like snoring at night.
- Keep your nasal passages open – Try to use a nasal dilator, saline spray, breathing strips, or a nasal irrigation system to help decrease sleep apnea symptoms and enjoy sleeping at night without any hindrances.
- Use Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) – Visit a dental professional and consult about the usage of this dental device. It can help keeps the upper airway open to prevent snoring and other sleep apnea symptoms.
Beat Sleep apnea with a healthy lifestyle and regular dental check-up. Let Trumbull Premier Dental help you and your whole family! Our set of professionals can help determine the causes of sleep apnea condition and put an end to this oral disorder that keeps on affecting your oral health and lifestyle.
If you’re suffering from a sleep disorder that causes breathing pauses, then it may be Sleep Apnea! Book your appointment immediately at Trumbull Premier Dental for Sleep Apnea Treatment in Trumbull, CT. You can visit us at 4161 Madison Avenue, Trumbull, CT 06611.